History

The Showell Volunteer Fire Department was organized on August 15, 1945, with 25 charter members. The first meeting was held on August 22, 1945 as Nelson Hudson was elected president, James Hudson Vice President, Woodrow Smallwood secretary and John Palmer Sr as Treasurer. Orlando Davis Chief, and William Collins Asst. Chief.

The first meetings were held at Ray Lewis Store, Located at Worcester Highway and Pitts Road, until 1948 when the first firehouse was completed. The first engine was purchased from Oren Fire Apparatus on Feb 5th 1946 and is still with the fire department today. Since 1945, the department has grown to 3 engines, 1 tanker, a rescue unit, brush truck and two ambulances. There are currently over 30 active members and over 20 other members, including life, honarary and cadets. Over the years the fire house has had several major renevations, and even today still has a 'small part' of the orginal fire house. In 2006, the last renovation, the firehouse increased to over 10,000sqft, and now includes a state of the art kitchen and Banquet hall.

The Charter Members of the Showell Vol. Fire Department

  • John Bishop
  • Harvey Cathell
  • William Collins
  • Wm. E. Collins
  • Orlando M. Davis
  • Calvin D. Gumm Sr.
  • Calvin D. Gumm Jr
  • Paul T. Hadder
  • Darrell Hall
  • Howard Hall
  • Ralph E. Holloway Sr
  • James Hudson
  • Nelson Hudson
  • Howard Jarmon
  • Herman Lecates
  • Ray Lewis
  • Paul C. Long
  • Frank Melson
  • John Palmer Sr.
  • John Richardson
  • Orlando M. Shockley
  • Woodrow W. Smallwood
  • Oliver Smith Sr
  • William Thomas
  • Milton Williams